Friday, October 21, 2011

Fall Trees at the Cabin

This is a 6x8 oil, which has been worked, worked, and reworked. I kept playing with this thing, took it upstairs and looked at it over and over and discovered I had the composition split right down the middle with no dominant tree. So I brought the left one forward and to the right and made it the dominant one. I moved the other back, killed the intensity of it so now I have a dominant tree, and the painting is not split right down the middle. Sometimes I have to study one for awhile, then "bam" it will hit me what the problem is, so I get the paints out again and see if I can fix it. It is still rather plain but I now have broken up the area so there is a dominant player. I was working with photos of the area and let the photo "take over", instead of just "spinning off of it" to get started, which I try to do.

No comments: